Re: is there a need for a better libcurl?

From: Lars J. Aas <larsa_at_sim.no>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 15:48:03 +0200

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 02:28:56PM +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
: Having just released what looks like a rather solid version, I've come to
: consider the future destiny of this project and hence I ask you:
:
: Is there a need for a better libcurl?
:
: I actually do have better things to do in my life than to pursue dead-end
: projects. :-)

Since I was one of those who proposed a redesign back in '99 (and been very
silent the last few months) I feel somewhat obligated to reply on this.

One of the problems is that of the chicken and the egg. A redesign of
libcurl would be nice, but it doesn't really make sense before you develop
an application that needs the redesigned libcurl. Applications needing a
redesigned libcurl won't start using the current libcurl because of its
limitations.

I've been working on an Open Source Open Inventor library (Coin) for the
last year, in which I was hoping to utilize libcurl for the networking part
of browsing VRML/VRML2/VRML97 scenes. Support for VRML97 won't happen
before sometime this summer, and not before then will I have the inspiration
and incentive needed to work on this project.

So for the time being, a libcurl redesign can be put on hold...

  Lars J