Re: Usage examples.

From: Daniel Stenberg <Daniel.Stenberg_at_netinsight.se>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 09:32:12 +0200

"Jeff K.V. Bhavnanie" wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how i can use curl to send data to search on
> altavista.com?

Yes. The easiest way is to run over to the site, enter your search string and
then copy the URL it uses for it. Then run curl with that URL.

> I've tried using the curl -F "q=search" http://www.altavista.com
> but nothing happens... q is the name of the search box according to the
> page when i view source it.

1. -F is not automatically the way to post (see
http://curl.haxx.nu/docs/faq.html)

2. Altavista doesn't use post.

> Has anyone tried it before? All i want to is send a search string to
> altavista and get the first results page to file.

Search for 'silly search' using this URL:

http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?pg=q&enc=iso88591&text=yes&kl=XX&q=silly+search&act=search

--
 Daniel Stenberg, Software Developer, +46-705-443177