Again: progress, stats

From: Georg Horn <horn_at_koblenz-net.de>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 20:31:34 +0100

Hi,

i just looked into the new 6.5pre1 release of curl, and found out that indeed
(as Daniel told me, but i misunderstood him a little...) most of the statistics
stuff i want to do with curl can be done with the -s and the new -w option.
(-s: no stats at all, -s -w blah: just a summary at the end, -w blah:
progress meter and summary)

But of course i'm not really satisfied with this... ;-)

- I like the -w option, but i think that the output should be printed to
  stderr, where the progress meter too goes to, as it otherwise is appended
  to the downloaded file.
- It would be very nice to have an option (capital W?) that allows you to
  specify the format of the progress meter lines.
- Another nice thing would be to be able to specify the printf() format of the
  variables, for example: -W '%{received:%9.3f}'. Background is, that you can
  get the absolute number of bytes received so far every second, and not the
  string '11M' for dozens of seconds... If no format is given, the max5data()
  result could be used as default. Or a special format string could be used for
  this.
- Does it make sense to output the progress meter every second, but calculate
  the current speed as the average of the last 5 seconds? I think this gives no
  correct representation of the current speed, as it lasts about 5 seconds
  until the currend speed gets close to the real speed. Does it make sense to
  make this interval configurable?

Bye,
Georg