Re: FTPS ?

From: Daniel Stenberg <Daniel.Stenberg_at_haxx.nu>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 23:51:30 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000 garyb_at_fxt.com wrote:

> FTP picks its own ports for the data connections, rather than using the
> port the command connection is established on. So no tunnelling protocol
> can support FTP except IPSEC which is a kernel level protocol.

First out, I don't see how SSL is a "tunneling protocol" and I also fail to
see why it couldn't use SSL even when it "picks its own ports". As far as my
knowledge goes, it could just as well demand SSL and some kind of certificate
for all connections and then you'd probably get a more secure ftp.

(yes, you can of course argue the point of using ftp for this since there's
ssh and its tools but anyway...)

> However, you can use rsync, with or without SSH or one of the SSL
> tunnelling packages. SSH is quite widely used for tunnelling, and there
> are free clients and servers for most platforms depending where you live.

Yes. The thing is that I was asked by someone about SSL for FTP and there
actually exist patches for wu-ftp and others that already delivers this
feature.

I'm not gonna re-invent any wheel here, I was merely thinking in the ways of
perhaps adding some small pieces of code to support an already existing
protocol (more or less defined of course).

Rsync and ssh are not within curl's scope as I see it.

--
   Daniel Stenberg - http://www.contactor.se/~dast - +46-705-44 31 77