I need some advice...

From: Daniel Stenberg <Daniel.Stenberg_at_haxx.nu>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 00:15:06 +0100 (MET)

Hi

I'm having some difficulties when redesigning some of the classic stuff of
curl: The progress meter!

I just decided that I needed to rewrite curl to better do uploads and
downloads simultaneously (it actually must do it to be able to perform all
sorts of HTTP operations it now claims to do).

This makes a problem more current: the progress meter has so far been pretty
focused on downloading, and in particular the file data size. There are a few
questions I need to take into account when making a new progress meter:

* Should I continue to ignore control-data and only show the size of the
  actual content that arrives in the file? It makes sense, but it also hides
  the fact that other data is transfered.

* How should I display upload progress status? When performing a HTTP PUT,
  curl may very well end up uploading and downloading at the same time. How
  should the meter display this? I could sum up all the numbers and display
  them like today, with both directions diplayed in the same meter but I
  don't think that's what you'd like...

* Changed information. Now, let's say that some protocols or mechanisms get
  updated size informations while already in progress. How should I display
  that? I mean, of course I can just update the numbers displayed but should
  there be some more symbols or something in case there is a chance/risk of
  that the numbers will change?

I appriciate suggestions and thoughts, I am a bit out of ideas myself!

--
   Daniel Stenberg - http://www.contactor.se/~dast - +46-705-44 31 77